‘There are so many great reasons to visit Werribee Open Range Zoo west of Melbourne, including the African-style game drive through the zoo’s extensive open grasslands. The zoo offers a fabulous day out for the whole family.’
- Enjoy a 40-minute African-style game drive through the 225-hectare open range zoo
- Encounter a host of exotic animals, including zebra, antelope, rhino, giraffe, buffalo and many more
- See lots of Australian native animal species
- Attend interesting and informative zookeeper presentations.
Need to know
- Werribee Open Range Zoo is located 32km south-west of Melbourne
- The zoo is open daily from 9am-5pm, with the last entry at 3.30pm
- Your ticket price includes a 40-minute game drive through the zoo’s extensive grasslands
- Visit other exhibits at your own pace.
Children (4 to 15 years): AUD $18.50pp
There is no charge for children under the age of four. Prices are subject to change. Please refer to the booking form for the most up-to-date pricing.
What you can expect
If you’ve always wanted to go on an African safari, Werribee Open Range Zoo offers an authentic game drive experience just outside Melbourne! Here you’ll encounter a huge range of exotic and Australian native animals, that all call this sprawling 225-hectare zoo home.
A visit to Werribee Open Range Zoo is just like travelling through the magnificent African Serengeti. Your ticket includes a superb 40-minute game drive through acres of open grassland, and your knowledgeable driver/guide will share information about the animals you’ll see roaming and grazing freely. Zebras, buffalo, ostriches, camels and antelope are just some of the inhabitants of Werribee Open Range Zoo’s grasslands. [More]
After the safari you can set your own pace and make your way through the many exhibits and enclosures in and around the zoo’s main precinct. Along with the gorilla, lion and meerkat exhibits, you can visit a replica African village. For those interested in getting up close and personal with native Australian animals, the immersive Australian Journey grasslands area on the banks of the Werribee River is a must-see.
You’ll also have the opportunity to enjoy informative zookeeper presentations throughout the day. There are scheduled daily presentations at the meerkat, hippo, gorilla and lion enclosures.
When it’s time for lunch, choose from the bistro, café or mobile food carts. There’s something to suit every taste.
Werribee Open Range Zoo offers an extraordinary experience for the whole family. Enjoy close encounters with many of the planet’s most breathtaking wildlife species.